11.10.2008

Nicholas Dertien



Some people might believe that I’m an adrenaline junkie; this is not the case.  I am in truth a very meditative person.  In moments of deep and solitude reflection I come upon an energy that has such force that it overwhelms my senses.  I feel it vibrate across my flesh and throb on my fingertips and the soles of my feet.   These sensations (coming out of purposeful meditation) are very much my own. But as any passion, I have always strived to share them.

I find that at the core of these meditations I’m forcing my mind to break though thresholds of perception, so I began to do actions that show my body breaking through thresholds in the physical world. My work becomes an opposition to meditation; my actions embody the energy of my personal reverie. In doing I find the “physical knowledge” and peak experiences that viewers can project themselves into.

I am consistently challenging the limiting finite space of my body and its ability to filter the sensations of the world.  

No comments: