11.10.2008

Micaelan Davis


As a designer, I am interested in systems and the inherent interdependence between parts. My typical approach to a project is highly controlled with many of the decisions made before construction begins. During my time at RISD, I have tried to be more conscious of my design process and more open to learning through the making process. In this vein, the lounge chair is very much a product of its process.                     

I began with an investigation into how to connect plastic tubing to itself. The initial sample was painstakingly woven by hand but I realized there could be interesting potential in actually weaving the material on the loom. By using a warp-faced technique, the vinyl, which in this case is the weft, is only visible as a bump until it protrudes from the ends of the weave. The density of strands also ensures the structural integrity of the system. As I set up the loom and began to weave, I had the proportions of the body in mind but the dimensions of the piece were mainly driven by intuition. Once the woven structure was removed from the loom I responded to its movement and shape in designing the metal supporting structure and attachment system.    

The investigation actually yielded two projects, the lounge chair being one of them; and has gone on to inspire a third foray into the use of fibers in furniture design. I find the fundamental systems that determine the woven structure’s pattern and form quite interesting, especially how they can yield a large variety of outputs from small changes in input. The straightforward simplicity of the final product is beautiful in its relationship to the nuanced process from which it came. 

No comments: